PAW PAW COMMUNITY UNIT SCHOOL DISTRICT #271
BOARD OF EDUCATION
JULY 21, 2014
PAW PAW HIGH SCHOOL MEDIA CENTER – PAW PAW, ILLINOIS
The Regular Meeting of the Paw Paw Community Unit School District #271 Board of Education was held on July 21, 2014, in the Library of the Paw Paw Jr. / Sr. High School. The meeting was called to order by Becky Moorehead, Vice-President at 7:02 PM. Those answering roll call were: Steve Richey, Jason Penman, Chris Jones, Becky Moorehead, and Daryl Rosenkrans. President Dave Lilja was absent. Also present were Superintendent Stan Adcock; Chuck Schneider, Asst. Superintendent/Principal; and Dee Wheeler, District Bookkeeper. Also in attendance was Mary Mendoza.
APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES:
Daryl Rosenkrans, seconded by Steve Richey, made a motion to approve the minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of June 17, 2014. Motion passed on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Steve Richey, seconded by Daryl Rosenkrans, made a motion to approve the minutes of Closed Session of June 17, 2014, as presented. “The minutes of the closed session of these meetings shall be confidential and closed to the public until such time that the Board of Education determines that it is no longer necessary to protect the public interest or privacy of an individual by keeping them confidential.” Motion passed on a 6-0 roll call vote.
CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
A. Approval of the Bills with late additions:
DEBT SERVICE: 41,462.50
B. Approval of the Treasurer’s Report as presented by Eunice Rogers, District Treasurer.
C. Approval of the Financial Reports as presented.
Daryl Rosenkrans, seconded by Jason Penman, made a motion to approve the Consent Agenda items as presented. Motion passed on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Mary Mendoza addressed the Board about starting a LEO Club for students at Paw Paw. She prepared and distributed a handout explaining the club and its purpose. It is a club sponsored by the Lion’s Club, and its purpose to serve the public and the community. Mary stated that the Lion’s Club had agreed to sponsor the club. She also said that she would voluntarily serve as advisor. No stipend would need to be paid, and there would be no cost to the school district. There was discussion amongst the Board and Mrs. Mendoza and questions addressed. Mr. Schneider that if it was a student club that the collective bargaining agreement may have precedence over who would act as supervisor. If a student started the club, then it would be community-based, and she could act as the advisor. He stated that he would check into the matter and advise at next Board Meeting.
1. Second Reading of Policy 6:310 –Clean up inconsistencies between handbook and policy manual.
1. Approve American Red Cross Shelter Agreement-Mr. Adcock addressed the Board and stated that copy was in packet. Daryl Rosenkrans stated that the Fire Dept. had cots available. Mr. Adcock asked for their approval to execute the agreement.
2. Discuss and Approve Non-Certified Pay Raise for FY15-Closed Session.
3. Employ Non-Certified/Extra Curricular Positions-Closed Session.
4. Discussion of Working Cash Bond Sale-Mr. Adcock recommended to the Board that we purchase Working Cash Bonds and that the District use Walt Zukowski, Board Attorney, for this purpose.
5. Approve Transfer of Funds from Education Fund to Transportation Fund-Mr. Adcock informed the Board that we needed to transfer $50,000 from the Ed Fund to Transportation to cover costs for July expenses, which included new and existing bus leases.
6. Discussion on Mandatory Health Insurance Plan Changes and Set Committee Meeting Date and Time-Mr. Adcock informed Board that insurance renewal date was 9/1/14. He had met with Joe Roberts of Caywood and Associates and discussed changes. Companies must now underwrite by gender, age and where insured resides. He also stated that it would be grouped in three different categories. According to teacher’s contract a committee and meeting must be set up to discuss these changes. Becky Moorehead, Jason Penman, and Mr. Adcock are to represent the District, and three teachers to be determined by the Union.
7. Approve Changes/Revisions to Teacher Handbook-Copy enclosed in packet. Mr. Schneider stated that areas highlighted or changed were included. Mr. Adcock stated he thought it was a good idea.
8. Approve Extra-Curricular/Athletic/Coaches Handbook-Mr. Schneider stated it was a completely new handbook. Basically, it would be to establish a common understanding of expectations. He also stated there were some issues with scheduling. Non-conference games need to schedule. Volleyball game and soccer matches on 9/27 were in conflict. Mr. Schneider stated that soccer and volleyball would start on the 13th.
9. Employ Certified Staff-Closed Session.
10. Approve Reduction in Force of Special Education Bus Route-The Board was informed that Michael Fisher moved out of the District thus requiring one less Special Education bus driver. Mr. Schneider informed the Board that Steve Williams had accepted the position, and that he had explained in detail to the driver about the changes and expectations for the driver on this route.
11. Approve Reduction in Force of Non-Certified Aid Position-With retirement of Lois Ross, there would be need to reduce the number of aids and existing aids should be able to meet the need of the District.
Mr. Schneider provided a construction update to the Board. Tuck pointing was completed, and the architect would be inspecting. He also reported there would be a six to eight outlay for windows and that the panels are custom made. He stated that school would be in session, and they would work around. In good weather, there would be a detour outside and half hall if weather was inclement. Mr. Schneider also reported that Natalie Boone, high school English teacher had resigned. Issue was brought up by Daryl Rosenkrans about bat abatement. There were fresh signs in the gym. Mr. Schneider stated that Steve Sellers and Kerry Moorehead, custodians, were caulking and foaming. Hs also reported that the summer help was doing well.
Mr. Adcock informed the Board that he intended to take a vacation day on July 25. Mr. Adcock brought up the subject of transitioning to electronic Board packets. The Board would have a school e-mail address and would be provided with laptops. There was brief discussion and questions were addressed.
a. American Red Cross Agreement
b. Changes to Certified Staff Handbook
c. Coaches Handbook
Dee Wheeler, bookkeeper, brought up the subject on the estimate on how much it costs each year to print the School Bell as requested at an earlier Board Meeting. I gave them breakdown on printing and postage. The average cost would range from $5,000 to $5,500 each year. There was discussion sending them electronically via a button on the website. Copies would also be left in the grocery store, post office and bank. There will be a follow-up discussion at a later meeting. Mr. Adcock asked the Board if there was any reason not to meet in the future at 6:00 p.m. instead of 7:00 p.m. Jason Penman stated that he did not get home from work until 6:00, and Steve Richey stated that would be difficult for him when he was farming.
Jason Penman, seconded by Daryl Rosenkrans, made a motion to adjourn to closed session at 7:51 p.m. for personnel and probable or imminent litigation. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Daryl Rosenkrans, seconded by Jason Penman, made a motion to come out of closed session at 8:14 p.m. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Chris Jones, seconded by Steve Richey, made a motion to approve second reading and approval of Policy 6:310. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Jason Penman, seconded by Daryl, made a motion to approve American Red Cross Shelter Agreement. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Daryl Rosenkrans, seconded by Steve Richey, made a motion to approve non-certified staff raise of 1/5% for FY15. Motion passed with Becky Moorehead and Jason Penman voting “present”.
Discussion of Working Cash Bond Sale.
Jason Penman, seconded by Daryl Rosenkrans, made a motion to approve transfer of funds from the Education Fund to the Transportation Fund in the amount of $50,000. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Discussion on Mandatory Health Insurance Plan changes and Set committee Meeting Date/Time.
Daryl Rosenkrans, seconded by Steve Richey, made a motion to approve changes/revisions to Teacher Handbook. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Chris Jones, seconded by Daryl Rosenkrans, made a motion to approve Extra-Curricular/Athletic/Coaches Handbook. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Jason Penman, seconded by Chris Jones, made a motion to approve reduction in force of special education bus route. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Jason Penman, seconded by Chris Jones, made a motion to approve reduction in force of non-certified aid position. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Jason Penman, seconded by Steve Richey, made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:19p.m. Motion passed on a 5-0 roll call vote.