PAW PAW COMMUNITY UNIT SCHOOL DISTRICT #271
BOARD OF EDUCATION
JULY 16, 2012
PAW PAW HIGH SCHOOL MEDIA CENTER – PAW PAW, ILLINOIS
The Regular Meeting of the Paw Paw Community Unit School District #271 Board of Education was held on July 16, 2012, in the Library of the Paw Paw Jr. / Sr. High School. The meeting was called to order by David Lilja, President, at 7:07 p.m. Those answering roll call were: Becky Moorehead, Jason Penman, John Prentice, Daryl Rosenkrans, and Steve Richey. Also present were Superintendent, Robert Priest; Principal Charles Schneider, Dee Wheeler, District Bookkeeper and Heather Nelson.
APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES:
Steve Richey, seconded by John Prentice, made a motion to approve the minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of June 18, 2012, as presented. Motion passed unanimously on a roll call vote.
Jason Penman, seconded by John Prentice, made a motion to approve the minutes of Closed Session of June 18, 2012, as presented. “The minutes of the closed session of these meetings shall be confidential and closed to the public until such time that the Board of Education determines that it is no longer necessary to protect the public interest or privacy of an individual by keeping them confidential.” Motion passed unanimously on a roll call vote.
CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
- Approval of the Bills with late additions:
DEBT SERVICE: 42,462.50
CAPITAL PROJECTS 201.90
- Approval of the Treasurer’s Report as presented by Eunice Rogers, District Treasurer.
- Approval of the Financial Reports as presented.
Daryl Rosenkrans, seconded by Becky Moorehead, made a motion to approve the Consent Agenda items as presented. Motion passed unanimously on a roll call vote.
1. Yearbook Update – Closed Session.
1. Confidentiality of Closed Sessions – Confidentiality was recommended by Mr. Priest.
2. Resignation of Elem/JH PE Teacher – Copy of letter enclosed. Interview for the day did not show per Mr. Schneider.
3. Approve Submission of Provisional Vocational Certification Application – District has placeholder for AG/FFA position, and we need to apply to the ROE for provisional vocational certification.
4. Employment of Staff – Mr. Schneider discussed the AG/IA open position.
5. Tentative Budget Process and Display – Mr. Priest discussed the budget as displayed in his handout. He informed the Board that Illinois has cut revenues that will require expenditure cuts. He stated that the District’s working cash position is healthy.
6. Employee Health Insurance Renewal – Mr. Priest informed the Board that are renewal premium increased, but not drastically, from $525.03 to $562.00 per month for single coverage. Copy was included in packet.
7. Summer Work – Mr. Schneider reported that summer work was progressing nicely.
Mr. Schneider reported on fundraising suggestions for Prom and Senior Trip. A handout was provided to the Board. He mentioned that a financial analysis of actual costs versus funds raised would need to be completed as he felt that a loss was being incurred. Mr. Schneider stated that the District should have IHSA approval in a week or so. He also reported that the PA project is 90% complete. New amplifier and PA speakers and boxes are located outside of hallway doors.
Mr. Priest reported that there had been no Committee meetings. He stated that the training is taking a huge portion of his time. He discussed the evaluation training that Mr. Schneider and he were undergoing. He explained the system problems that were causing issues. Originally, the ISBE estimated the training would take twenty hours, but the reality is closer to fifty hours. Mr. Priest also stated that he had to complete the principal’s assessment.
ENCLOSURES-Resignation letter from Ms. Niemet and Health Insurance Renewal information.
Jason Penman, seconded by Steve Richey, made a motion to adjourn to closed session at 7:45 P.M. for personnel, probable or imminent litigation. Motion passed unanimously on a roll call vote, 6-0.
Steve Richey, seconded by John Prentice, made a motion to come out of closed session at 8:10 P.M. Motion passed unanimously on a roll call vote, 6-0.
Becky Moorehead, seconded by Jason Penman, made a motion to approve obtaining a provisional vocational certification to fill the open AG/Industrial Arts position. Motion passed unanimously on a roll call vote, 6-0.
Becky Moorehead, seconded by Jason Penman, made a motion to keep closed session minutes confidential. Motion passed unanimously on a roll call vote, 6-0.
Becky Moorehead, seconded by Jason Penman, made a motion to approve resignation of elementary/JHS PE teacher. Motion passed unanimously on a roll call vote, 6-0.
Becky Moorehead, seconded by Jason Penman, made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:14p.m. Motion passed unanimously on a roll call vote, 6-0.