REGULAR BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING MINUTES
August 27, 2007- 7:00 PM
Paw Paw High School Library
Paw Paw, Illinois
Board President David Lilja called the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education of Paw Paw Community Unit School District #271 to order at 7:06 P.M., on Monday, August 27, 2007. Those answering roll call were: Bruce Oates, Kim Siemers, Becky Moorehead, David Lilja, Steve Richey. John Prentice, and Daryl Rosenkrans. Also present were Superintendent Robert Priest, Mr.Chuck Schneider, Patty Torman, Alice Zeman, Mrs. Sarah Pfeifer, and Tammy Safranek,
Steve Richey, seconded by David Lilja, made a motion to approve the minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of July 16, 2007, as presented. Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote.
John Prentice seconded by Steve Richey, made a motion to approve the minutes of the Closed Session of July 16, 2007, as presented. Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote.
Consent Agenda Items:
Kim Siemers, seconded by Bruce Oates, made a motion to approve the Consent Agenda Items as presented:
Ed: $ 226,032.91
OP/M: $ 74,284.13
B/I $ - 0 -
TRANS: $ 15,631.37
IMRF: $ 5,996.07
S/C: $ - 0 -
F/S: $ 2106.50
Total: $ 324,050.98
C). The Financial Reports as presented.
Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote
Alice Zeman, representing the Paw Paw 125th year celebration committee, donated copies of the CD “Paw Paw, Illinois, Past, Present & Future” to Mr. Schneider and Mr. Priest, for use in the school libraries. The Board thanked her and the committee.
Tammy Safranek, 2006-07 Senior Class Sponsor, wanted to thank the Board for allowing the 06-07 senior class to take their senior trip to Orlando, Florida. The trip went tremendously smooth, and the students and sponsors had a wonderful time.
She had one suggestion for the principals and board. Every year each sponsor, be it a class sponsor, Student Council, etc., needed to write down everything they accomplished that year, timelines, costs, when and if they need to go to the Board of Education, etc. She learned by trial and error and talking to Penny and Julie and had a lot of questions for previous class sponsors. She kept notes on her year and planned to put them in a binder for the next senior class sponsor. She thought this would help the transition from one sponsor to another, and open up communication between the old and new. The Board thanked her for her input, and thought it would be a good idea for each sponsor.
Board Committee Reports:
a. Education Committee – will meet Thursday, September 6, 5:30
b. Building Committee –Mr. Priest stated everything seemed to be going well, the roof repair is completed.
c. Transportation Committee – no meeting scheduled.
d. Policy Committee – Mr. Priest suggested they meet in the next few months to go over any new policies form the ISBA. He will come back at the September meeting with more information.
Items for Discussion:
a. Old Business
1. Coaches/Extra-Curricular positions – to be discussed in Closed Session
2. Committee Meeting Schedule – see above
b. New Business
1. PKD Building Lease – the lease is $10,500 again, same as last year. Mrs. Bertenshaw called to tell Mr. Priest there was water in the church basement, her classroom, but the members of the church cleaned it up, tore out the carpet, and will install a new floor.
2. Request to use Building by PLS – Enclosed is the letter from three of the teachers, from Paw Paw, who took this class at Paw Paw. In the past we have never charged for this organization to use our building in the summer. According to the Board Policy handbook If the third party is a “for profit” organization the District will charge to use any building. PLS is a “for profit” organization, therefore according to the policy book they should be charged for using the districts’ facilities in the summer. The question for the board is; suspend the current board policy or do not suspend policy. If you do not suspend it, then we will need to charge a fee, to be determined by the Board. The board did not see any reason to suspend the policy, and to charge a minimal fee, as some of our teachers do benefit from having the class in Paw Paw.
3. Resignation of Jr. High Special Education Teacher – CS
4. Employment of Jr. High School Special Education Teacher – CS
5. PSAE Scores – “We could have done better” stated Mr. Priest. Although as a whole the Paw Paw High School made Adequate Yearly Progress. Individually, the students didn’t do as well as they should have. Mr. Schneider and Mr. Priest will talk with school personnel and the students to figure out the reason scores were down, and what steps can be taken to raise the scores.
6. Board Goals Meeting – Bruce Oates suggested just the Board Members only meet first, so a date of September 13, 2007, 6:30 p.m. at the High School was set, for board members only, no administration..
7. Restructure of Bond Debt – Mr. Priest mailed to each board member the information from Jamie Rachlin showing the pros and cons of restructuring. He presented three options for reducing and/or controlling the levy for bond payments. The Board agreed that option number three was the best option, which would reduce the bond levee for 2008-09 bond year by $50,000. Mr. Rachlin will be at the September board meeting to answer any questions.
8. Music Program Fund Raiser – there is a new law that any time a school class, or organization like band, that uses a third party for their fundraisers, needs to have board approval before they can move forward. There was some discussion about contracts, and Mr. Schneider asked for direction when the current Coke contract expires November of 2007. The board all agreed no more contracts such as the current Coke contract. Mr. Schneider said he would look into alternatives.
9. Approve upgrade of Paw Paw Flex Fund Plan for Employees (Cafeteria Plan), the auditors have redone this for the district.
Mr. Schneider reported that school was up and running, felt registration went more slowly this year, but that was due to the new SDS system. He met with each teacher and class and talked about responsibilities, and Bulldog Bravo. This new program would reward students for good attendance, grades, improving grades, attitude, etc., anything to improve the school atmosphere. The rewards he procured already are from businesses in town, some school money, and donations.
Mr. Priest informed the Board that the SDS system was running, slowly, as it takes time to learn anything system new. Hopefully, by open house, parents will be able to go online to view their students progress and assignments. Also, the new telephone system was in place, and all the staff had been trained on it. Mrs. Pfeifer, from the audience, commented on how the teachers like the new system. Makes student accountability a little easier, and also discipline, as they are able to pick up their phone and call parents when they have a problem with a student.
The computers from Bradford school district are slowly being incorporated into the buildings.
Kim Siemers, seconded by Bruce Oates, made a motion to adjourn this regular session of the Paw Paw Community Unit School District at 8:48 P.M.
Motion passed unanimously by a voice vote.
Becky Moorehead, seconded by John Prentice, made a motion at 9:25 p.m. to come out of closed session.
Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote.
Becky Moorehead, seconded by Kim Siemers, made a motion to approve the resignation of the Jr. High School Special Education teacher, Mr. Clarence Hylton. Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote.
Becky Moorehead, seconded by Kim Siemers, made a motion to approve the employment of Lorrie Hill as the Jr. High School Special Education teacher. Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote.
Becky Moorehead, seconded by Kim Siemers, made a motion to employ coaches and extra- curricular positions for 07-08 school year. Motion passed 6-0 with one abstaining.
Becky Moorehead, seconded by Kim Siemers, made a motion to approve the PKD Building lease in the amount of $10,500. Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote.
Becky Moorehead, seconded by Kim Siemers, made a motion to approve the music department fundraiser. Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote.
Becky Moorehead, seconded by Kim Siemers, made a motion to approve the Paw Paw Flex Fund Plan for employees (Cafeteria Plan). Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote.
Bruce Oates, seconded by John Prentice, made a motion, to adjourn the Regular Board Meeting of Paw Paw Community Unit School District #371, at 9:30 p.m. Motion passed unanimously by a voice vote.