PAW PAW COMMUNITY UNIT SCHOOL DISTRICT #271
BOARD OF EDUCATION
SEPTEMBER 15, 2014
PAW PAW HIGH SCHOOL MEDIA CENTER – PAW PAW, ILLINOIS
The Regular Meeting of the Paw Paw Community Unit School District #271 Board of Education was held on September 15, 2014, in the Library of the Paw Paw Jr. / Sr. High School. The meeting was called to order by Becky Moorehead, Vice-President, at 7:03 PM. Those answering roll call were: Steve Richey, Jason Penman, Chris Jones, Becky Moorehead, and Daryl Rosenkrans. President Dave Lilja was absent. Also present were Superintendent Stan Adcock; Chuck Schneider, Asst. Superintendent/Principal; and Dee Wheeler, District Bookkeeper. Also in attendance were Shannon Wiercinski, Malorie Dragonuk, Pat Brummel, Ashley Delhotal, Steve Sellers, and Karen Vlasaty.
PUBLIC HEARING ON THE 2014-2015 BUDGET
- Open public hearing at 7:05 PM-Daryl Rosenkrans.
- Review highlights of the 2014-2015 Budget-Mr. Adcock gave a brief narrative wherein he stated the District would be in deficit spending. The deficit is in the Education Fund being -$136,273 and O&M by -$81,228. He pointed out that General State Aid dropped by approximately $185,000. The reason for this being ADA (average daily attendance) has continued to drop, and a three-year average is used in the calculation.
- Public Comments
- Close Hearing at 7:09 PM-Jason Penman.
ADOPT 2014-2015 BUDGET
Jason Penman, seconded by Chris Jones, made a motion to adopt the 2014-2015 Budget as finalized during the Public Hearing. Motion passed on a 5-0 roll call vote.
APPROVAL OF THE MINUTES:
Daryl Rosenkrans, seconded by Chris Jones, made a motion to approve the minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of August 18, 2014. Motion passed on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Daryl Rosenkrans, seconded by Chris Jones, made a motion to approve the minutes of Closed Session of August 18, 2014, as presented. “The minutes of the closed session of these meetings shall be confidential and closed to the public until such time that the Board of Education determines that it is no longer necessary to protect the public interest or privacy of an individual by keeping them confidential.” Motion passed on a 5-0 roll call vote.
CONSENT AGENDA ITEMS:
A. Approval of the Bills with late additions:
B. Approval of the Treasurer’s Report as presented by Eunice Rogers, District Treasurer.
C. Approval of the Financial Reports as presented.
Daryl Rosenkrans, seconded by Steve Richey, made a motion to approve the Consent Agenda items as presented. Motion passed on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Steve Sellers addressed the Board about his concerns with the job descriptions that were being compiled and distributed by Mr. Schneider with cooperation of the full-time custodians, Steve Sellers and Kerry Moorehead, and replacements Kathy Lamb and Dee Wheeler. Mr. Sellers expressed concern and was wondering if there was any issue with the janitors. Mr. Schneider assured him that this was not the case. It was just the District needing to set up a guideline because no descriptions had been previously established.
1. Update and Discussion on Working Cash Bond Sale –Mr. Adcock advised the Board that the WC Bond Sale was moving forward. He had heard from Walt Zukowski’s office, and a list of things to do was going to be sent to him.
1. Recognition of Schools-To be on a future agenda.
2. Teacher Salary Report-An EIS generated report that requires approval by the Board each year. Copy was distributed to Board Members prior to the meeting.
3. Approval of the FFA Trip (Sponsor Pat Brummel to Speak)-Mrs. Brummel addressed the Board regarding the FFA trip. She said 10 members would be going. That would depart on October 28th and return on October 31st. It was discussed and approved by the FFA that members have to carry a C average to attend FFA activities. Mrs. Brummel mentioned their intention of renting a bus in St. Charles. However, Mr. Adcock and Mr. Schneider offered use of one of the District’s buses. She informed the Board that they would be staying at the Travel Lodge in Louisville, and the FFA would be paying for their lodging, her substitute teacher, and bus fuel.
4. Reminder about School Board Election and Legal Changes-Mr. Adcock informed the Board the two sets were up for election. He mentioned that petitions needed to be picked up at the County office and would need to be turned in by December 22nd.
5. Approval of Job Descriptions for Custodians and Maintenance-Already discussed during Open Forum.
6. Approve Removing Bus #67 from Service and Disposal Options-Mr. Adcock informed the Board that we needed to remove Bus #67 from service per the State of Illinois. He asked the Board what they would like to do with the bus. Scrap or sell? Sealed bids were also brought up.
7. Employ Bus Drivers (If Applicable)-Closed Session.
8. Employ Coaching Positions-Closed Session.
9. Discussion of Administrative Needs to Be Out of District as Needed-Mr. Schneider provided a list of his calendar and dates out of District. Per Mr. Adcock, for Administrative purposes, rarely would both Mr. Schneider and himself be absent at the same time.
10. Discussion of Union Request Concerning Health Insurance-Closed Session.
Mr. Schneider provided an update on construction to the Board. Next week the architect would be inspecting. Pin tucking found additional cracks in gym wall. He also reported on the AG shop windows. He state that the contractor would have to absorb the cost of window size not spec’ing out correctly. It will take three to four weeks for glass to come in and have not been ordered yet. Mr. Schneider also reported that the bus inspector came in for the State of Illinois.
Mr. Adcock informed the Board that a bat had been sighted. He updated the Board on the bat situation and had told parents about it also. It was mentioned that there had been no signs at all last week of bats.
Chris Jones, seconded by Jason Penman, made a motion to adjourn to closed session at 7:41 p.m. for personnel and probable or imminent litigation. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Daryl Rosenkrans, seconded by Chris Jones, made a motion to come out of closed session at 8:20 p.m. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Steve Richey, seconded by Jason Penman, made a motion to approve the Application for Recognition of Schools. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Jason Penman, seconded by Chris Jones, made a motion to approve FFA Trip. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Jason Penman, seconded by Daryl Rosenkrans, made a motion to approve job descriptions for custodial and maintenance staff. Motion passed with Becky Moorehead voting “present”.
Motion to Employ Bus drivers (If Applicable). N/A
Jason Penman, seconded by Chris Jones, made a motion to employ (volunteer) coaching positions. Motion passed unanimously on a 5-0 roll call vote.
Chris Jones, seconded by Jason Penman, made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:23p.m. Motion passed on a 5-0 roll call vote.