SCHOOL DISTRICT #271
REGULAR BOARD OF EDUCATION MEETING MINUTES
Board President David Lilja called the Regular Meeting of the Board of Education of Paw Paw Community Unit School District #271 to order at 7:04 P.M., on
John Prentice, seconded by Steve Richey, made a motion to approve the minutes of the Regular Board Meeting of
Becky Moorehead, seconded by Steve Richey, made a motion to approve the minutes of the Closed Session of
5. Consent Agenda Items:
Kim Siemers, seconded by Becky Moorehead, made a motion to approve the Consent Agenda Items as presented:
A). Approval of the bills as follows:
OP/M: $ 22,025.28
B/I $ - 0 -
TRANS: $ 22,594.01
IMRF: $ 7,151.20
S/C: $ - 0 -
F/S: $ 1,886.95
B). Approval of the Treasurer’s Report as submitted by Eunice Rogers, District Treasurer,
C). The Financial Reports as presented.
Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote
6. Open Forum:
John Hoelzer, Teacher Representative, handed out computer bags to the Board, from the Teacher’s Association. “They were to be here for American Education Week in November, but they were a little late”, said Mr. Hoelzer. He also reported on the successful Freshman Class Spaghetti Supper, which was held the previous Friday. After expenses the class netted around $830.00.
Tammy Safranek, Senior Class Advisor, came to the Board meeting to answer any questions about the pre-plans for the Senior Class trip. The Board was given a preliminary expense sheet for the trip to
7. Truth in Taxation Hearing
a. Mr. Priest explained to the Board how he came up with the figures for the 2006 tax levy.
b. Mr. Hoelzer asked the bottom line, how this will affect the taxpayer? Mr. Priest replied that it will not affect the taxpayer very much, as the increase to taxpayers will be very minimal.
c. There were no comments or questions from the Board.
8. Board Committee Reports:
a. Education Committee – next meeting date:
b. Building Committee – will meet
c. Transportation Committee – will meet right after the building committee meeting.
d. Policy Committee – next meeting
Board member, John Prentice, requested if possible, that the building committee discuss the Science room and the bleachers. Mr. Priest didn’t think that would be a problem.
9. Items for Discussion:
a. Old Business
1. Building Security – Beatty Lock and Key have started changing the locks on all the outside doors, and will complete the inside doors over the winter break. When all the staff comes back on January 3rd, 2007 new keys for the inside doors will be issued. Outside door keys have already been distributed to all staff members. The electronic buzzer and release will be installed over the break, so starting January 3, 2007 all visitors will have to be buzzed in the front door by the high school office.
b. New Business
1. Bus Lease – the lease for the special education bus was up
2. Start of 2007-08 School Year – Mr. Ebener explained the difference in starting dates, as to how it affects the quarters, and when semester finals would be taken. If the District starts on August 20, 2007, then the end of 1st semester would be before Christmas, and therefore finals would be before winter break. If they go with the later opening date, August 27th, 1st semester would end after the winter break, and finals would be in the middle of January. After discussing it, the board took a showing of hands vote, the end result being 4-2 in favor of the earlier start. Therefore, tentatively, August 20th, 2007 will be the first day of student attendance.
3. Revision of 2006-2007 Calendar – Mr. Priest explained that the early release date of January 31st will be changed to January 12th. Also, in the 2006-07 calendar the end of third quarter is March 23rd with Parent/Teacher conferences on March 16th. The end of the third quarter should be March 16th and Parent/Teacher conferences should be March 23rd. Report card day, which had been scheduled for March 20th, should be March 21st.
4. Maintenance Project Report – John Prentice wanted to make sure the list included in their packet was the list he requested? He clarified the request by saying he wanted to make sure the custodians were making the best use of their time, “if they don’t have enough time to do their custodial job, because of the maintenance, then he felt the Board should look at more help”.
10 Principal’s Report:
Mr. Ebener reported that he has received the art work for the scorer’s table in the gym. He passed out copies for the Board to view. The Board approved of the final art sketch. He also reported that eligibility reports go out on Wednesdays or Thursdays, so the staff knows by Friday, of the eligibility of students. He handed out examples of what the teachers see. Also, he gave his recommendation on the request for new baseball uniforms. He thought 12 new pair of pants would be appropriate at this time, since the uniforms were not that old.
11. Superintendent’s Report:
Mr. Priest asked John Prentice, as a Village Trustee, if he knew anything about the letter that he had just received about “extending a resolution”? John did not but suggested he contact the office on the letter to find out what it concerns.
a. District Office Winter Holiday Schedule – Mr. Priest referred to the schedule in their board packet, the office would be covered except on the actual holidays.
There was a thank you from the Noard Family. Galen Noard’s brother passed away in early December and the District and the Schools sent condolences.
Bruce Oates, seconded by Kim Siemers, made a motion to adjourn this regular session of the
Becky Moorehead, seconded by Bruce Oates, made a motion at 10:48 p.m. to come out of closed session. Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote
John Prentice, seconded by David Lilja, made a motion to approve a resolution to instruct the
John Prentice, seconded by David Lilja, made a motion to approve the 2006 Tax Levy. Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote.
John Prentice, seconded by David Lilja, made a motion to approve the Bus Lease with Midwest Transit Equipment for the 2006 IC BE 200 flat floor wheelchair bus. Motion passed unanimously by a roll call vote.
John Prentice, seconded by David Lilja, made a motion to approve changing the
Steve Richey, seconded by Kim Seimers, made a motion to approve the start date for student attendance, for the 2007-08 school year of
John Prentice, seconded by David Lilja, made a motion to adjourn the Regular Board Meeting of Paw Paw Community Unit School District #271, at 10:06 p.m.